Sunday, May 22, 2011

Agnostic Theism

As an Agnostic Theist, I hold to the belief that knowing GOD is inherently impossible; we can only define, at most, what we believe about GOD. In fact, it is this belief that underpins my usage of various theistic designations, namely: 'GOD', 'God', and 'god'.
GOD

The Unknowable TRUTH; so Unknowable, in fact, that even suggesting what is or is not possible for GOD to be supposes too much knowledge of IT. I believe GOD exists. I also believe GOD to have certain characteristics.

God

In the most basic sense, God is GOD+characteristics, i.e., God is any given characterization of GOD. Thus, I believe in GOD and God. In other words, GOD, as an Unknowable, leaves much to be desired in terms of belief and understanding; so, using my extremely limited toolbox, consisting mostly of logic, reasoning, and perception, I attempt to understand GOD, and come up with certain characteristics that I believe seem fitting. The result is a concept: God (as distinguished from the true Unknowable GOD).

god

Anything that someone might consider calling a 'god' but that is not evidently an attempt to characterize or understand GOD HERSELF. Thus, Zeus, Osiris, Quetzalcoatl, and others are all gods. Superman might even be a god, if one were so inclined to regard him as such.

2 comments:

  1. Do you believe that it is possible that GOD does NOT exist? What reasons do you have for supposing that SHE does?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe GOD exists. I know it is possible that GOD doesn't exist.

    My reasons are my own. It is more of a personal matter than anything; my beliefs are not rational, logical, or reasonable. This is why I never attempt to convince anyone of GOD's existence: the matter is inherently unprovable.

    SR

    ReplyDelete